Greetings T4 Racers, Runners, & Walkers,
Tomorrow is our annual Twisted Turkey Trail Tussle, and the course is ready! We are excited to say we closed the online registration and will open walk-in registration at 7:45am on Saturday. To ensure you start the Tussle on the right foot, please take a moment to review the information below and make special note of the course briefing and parking situation. We look forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning.
- Race Packet Pick Up: You can pick up your race packet during check-in Saturday beginning at 7:45am at Strawberry Hill.
- Weather: Typically our race day begins at a balmy 28-30 degrees at the start of the race, and then warming up nicely to a steamy 48 degrees right around the time you cross the finish line. It appears it will a sunny day—perfect for a trail run.
- Important Times: Power Walkers–registration opens at 7:45am at the Nature Center with a course briefing at 8:35am–race begins at 9:00am. 5k/10k/15k Racers–registration opens at 8:00am at the Nature Center with a course briefing at 9:30am–race begins at 10:00am. Please do not wait until the last minute to arrive—it takes time to register everyone and we do expect a number of walk-ins on race day. The race will start promptly at 10:00am. We are only able to close the township roads for a few minutes, so we need to start on time.
- Parking: There is some parking next to the main office, but due to the race numbers we may use the upper parking lot which is about a ¼ of a mile from the start of the race. If for some reason you lost your car keys, or your partner is slow going in the morning, or have some other excuse for showing up the time we are briefing the racers (9:30am), we highly encourage that you’re dropped off at the Nature Center—and someone continues on to park your car. It is a short hike from the parking area, but it takes time to walk back down to the registration area.
- Belongings/Bag Check: You will be able to leave a runners bag at the Nature Center for the duration of the race. Remember the weather, it will be cold (relatively speaking), so have layers ready for the end of the race.
- Toilets: There is a restroom facility next to the Nature Center that you can use as a “comfort station” prior/after the run, or just select a tree to access while on the race route. Please remember to Leave No Trace.
- Route: The route has been cleared via leaf blowers.
- Refreshments: There are 2 water stations along the route and one at the finish with goodies and treats (estimated locations):
- Water is provided at the start and finish of the race
- For 10k/15k—water is provided at 1.3 miles; 4.2 miles & 5.5 miles (which is the same station), and the finish line
- For 5k—water is provided at 2.2 & 2.6 miles (which is the same station), and the finish line.
- Additional Refreshments: The Butcher Block is providing turkey dogs to all runners after crossing the finish line—along with a few veggie options (just what you want immediately following a race), and the Appalachian Brewing Company is our supplier of libations (beer and non-alcoholic root beer).
- Entertainment: Music is provided by Brittany Opperman: http://www.brittanyopperman.com/ and Emily Sheahan!
- Timing: Falcon Race Timing will chip time 5k/10k/15k runners and 10k Powerwalkers.
- Race Pace: 15k racers need to maintain a 13 minute/mile race pace. If runners are not at the finish line split (mile 6.2 for the 10k race by 11:20am); then runners may be directed back toward the finish line.
- Race changes: If you plan to change from one race to the other, please notify us by 8am Saturday so we can adjust your bib number and notify Falcon Race Timing, so they can recode your chip.
- Awards: The 5k awards ceremony will begin at 11:00am and the 10/15k awards ceremony begins promptly at 12:15pm. Awards will be given to the top female and male runners for each age category in the 5k, 10k, and 15k runs, along with the overall top female/male runners for the 5k, 10k and 15k race. We will host a raffle at the end of the race as well.
- Dogs and other leashed creatures: Though we love these fine friendly friends, we politely ask that everyone to refrain from running with a dog, cat, mouse, turtle, etc. However, Turkeys are acceptable.
- Questions, Comments, Gossip: Please do not hesitate to contact us should anything come up!
The Twisted Turkey’s Humble Assistant