Welcome to Strawberry Hill
It wasn’t the turkey and all the trimmings. It wasn’t the Macy’s Day Parade. It wasn’t the stores being open ‘round the clock offering the “best sale of the year.” As a young girl in the ‘60s, growing up in the coal regions of Northern Pennsylvania, the best part of the Thanksgiving Holiday was Santa’s arrival in town on a fire truck. “Here Comes Santa!”
Back then, Black Friday was not the shopping frenzy it is today. In fact, there was no Black Friday. Rather, the “day after Thanksgiving” was the day that launched the Christmas season. It was the day that merchants began to decorate their stores and install their Christmas displays. It was the day when street lights and lamp posts would be dressed in holiday garb. It was the day that stirred excitement and expectation for the coming season. It was the day that Santa arrived to officially welcome the holiday. “Here Comes Santa!”
I remember the joy of bundling up in winter coat, walking to town, and waiting. Waiting with anticipation. Waiting to hear the fire siren. Waiting to see the truck turn the corner. Waiting to hear the signature “Ho, Ho, Ho” from the jolliest person on earth. “Here Comes Santa!”
The welcoming of the holiday season was an event. It was cleared marked by Santa’s arrival and it was silently understood by all that the holidays did not begin until Santa arrived in town. Waiting . . Waiting as a community for the sign… Continue reading
Renew your membership on November 12th’s Giving Spree &
The Adams County Community Foundation
will Match your Contribution*
Four ways you can to donate on November 12 and have your gift matched:
1. Visit Strawberry Hill’s Reception at the Ragged Edge Coffee House from 8am – 10am, & get a FREE Cup of Coffee
2. Visit Strawberry Hill’s table at the Adams County Community Foundation Giving Spree at the Gettysburg Hotel, 4-7pm
3. Renew by going to the Adams County Community Foundation website (www.adsmacountycf.org) and designate your gift to Strawberry Hill
4. Send your gift to Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve* (1537 Mount Hope Road, Fairfield, PA 17320)
* To have your gift matched, you must make checks payable to the Adams County Community Foundation Giving Spree: Strawberry Hill and dated November 12. The Foundation will then provide your gift and their match to Strawberry Hill.
Part-time Naturalist (posted 11/7/14)
Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve in Fairfield, PA is seeking applicants for part-time naturalist positions. Applicants should have experience working with children and/or adults in group learning settings and working knowledge of local conservation topics. A background in environmental education or experiential education is preferred.
Hours for this position are flexible; 1.5 – 2 hour programs working weekdays, nights, and weekends. Naturalists benefit from a variety of free and reduced-cost learning experiences.
Adult and Pediatric CPR, First Aid, and AED Certification required (must be certified before delivering programs). Valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a license required. A criminal background check is required for all staff working with youth.
Interviews will be held in early December 2014.
Interested persons should submit cover letter, resume, and completed application to:
Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve
1537 Mount Hope Road
Fairfield, PA 17320
Download the application: Strawberry_Hill_Employment_Application